Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson
Expected Release date - September 24th 2013
Published by by Delacorte
Ebook, 400 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.
But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.
Nobody fights the Epics... nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.
And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.
He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.
But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.
Nobody fights the Epics... nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.
And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.
He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.
Quotes
"I have claimed this city, little epic. It is mine and it is my right to dominate this people here, not yours." - Steelheart
"Where there are villains, there will be heroes." - David's father
"You know. I think I fell for you that first day. Stupid huh? Love at first sight. What a clichè." - David
My Review
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
David has only had one goal for the last ten years and its killing Steelheart, one of the strongest epics created by Calamity, the science experiment that went wrong and gave some ordinary human beings super powers. Steelheart was the epic that threw Davids life and city into chaos. David lives in what used to be known as Chicago but after Steelheart claimed the city as his it was renamed Newcago. The city is enveloped in perpetual night thanks to Nightwielder, one of Steelhearts high epics.
David wants to become a reckoner, an elite team of individuals devoted to annihilating the powerful and out of control epics. When the epics first got their powers they became brutal and with no way to stop them the government pretty much handed the cities over to them. The Reckoners were the only people trying to make a difference and with their help David might get a chance to enact the revenge he has spent a decade planning.
I really really liked this story, its the first of its kind that I have ever read. This action/ adventure is the opposite of the normal super hero comic book story so instead we get super villains. With the dystopian feel from being ruled by the emotionless Steelheart and never knowing if you were going to be killed at any moment just because he could.
I especially loved Davids character, he has so many great qualities that makes him awesome. I loved that he is intelligent, he can think on his feet and he made me laugh. I also enjoyed all of the personalities of the Reckoners, they seemed like a great group of people that would definitely have your back if you got into trouble. Abraham, the Canadian cop was a personal favorite of mine (not just because I'm Canadian) he is so calm in bad situations and seems to know just the right thing to say at just the right time.
The story itself was excellent. I loved the mystery of Steelhearts weakness and all of the planning involved to destroy him. The gadgets the reckoners use are pretty cool and the motorcycle chase scene was bad ass. Everything flowed together perfectly and had me constantly entertained. The only reason that I am not giving this a five star rating is because I figured out two of the bombshells very early in the story.
With all that said I give this a 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Would I read it again? Yes
Buy it here:
Amazon | Chapters/Indigo
Places you can find the author
Wesite | Twitter | Goodreads
Would I read it again? Yes
Buy it here:
Amazon | Chapters/Indigo
Places you can find the author
Wesite | Twitter | Goodreads
Update:
Hey guys! It's been forever since I last posted something :(. Currently I'm going through the tedious task of replacing all of the missing pictures from my entire blog, which I mistakingly deleted =S. While updating my posts I discovered that this is my most popular review. Since nothing new has been added to Mo_Books in a week or so, I though I would repost this review =D

I can't wait to get to read this one. Sanderson is one of my favorite authors so I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one!
ReplyDeleteThis was a fantastic book Michelle. I even loved the catchy new curse words like 'sparks' definitely a book for your TBR list :D thanks for leaving a comment.
ReplyDeleteSeems like a great book. Haven't read any of Sanderson's work, though. Hope I can read one soon. Great review!
ReplyDeleteAudrey @ Geeky Chiquitas