Life takes over, it happens to all of us at some point. Things that prevent us from spending time on our much loved blogs. Normally this happens to me when I get sick or extremely busy. During these occasions my brain will become sluggish at the end of the day and I will choose to watch TV verses needing to concentrate on what I'm reading. So that means I don't get much reading done. The same goes with writing. When I'm super busy I don't really feel like sitting down and writing out a few posts. I'm tired. I don't want to create anything, I want something to entertain me instead, with no work required on my part.
Sometimes I do read, but actually have no interest in writing a review. Don't get me wrong now, I love writing my blog posts, its just that sometimes it can feel like a bit of a chore. When this happens to me, I end up with around three or so books read, no reviews done up, and a week or so with no posts on my blog. That's when I start feeling guilty. It's also when I start procrastinating to myself that I will try and write up a post before the day is out, but then I don't. Hello blogging/ reading slump.
This is what I do in that situation. I back off. I don't ever force myself to read when I'm not in the mood for it, if I did I would never retain the information that I read. Since reading is one of my favourite pass times, I know that eventually I will want to read again. When I do start reading I ALWAYS take notes. Post it notes in a physical copy or highlighting and notations in my ereader. That way I won't forget any of the points I wanted to discuss or any of the smaller parts of the story that I could overlook. Then I can hold off on writing the review until I can get around to it.
Eventually we all make time for the things that we love, and when those creative juices start flowing again, I grab my notes, sit down with a coffee and my laptop, and bang out a few posts. Normally, I will try and write a weeks worth of posts in this situation because after writing one I get in the zone and just keep going.
When this happens, I normally end up finding my routine again and I'm all good for a few months. Have you ever experienced the dreaded blogging/ reading slump. If so how were you able to overcome it. share with me peeps, I would love to know. As always, thanks so much for reading.

.gif)

Aww that sucks! I hate reading and blogging slumps! I haven't gotten into one yet, but everytime I feel myself not reading, I usually just lurk on other blogs or look at the books I want to read, and get excited about it.
ReplyDeleteOr I go to a bookstore (which I can't at the moment).
When it comes to blogging, I usually take a break until I have free time to actually sit down and write a review.
I love going to the bookstore and checking out what they have on display. Sometimes I even snap pics of great finds so I remember them for later.
DeleteI am so sorry for your slump! I know the feeling. The college life got in my way. I became too stressed to do anything. I was either working or doing homework or sleeping. I mean, I was still reading but it was soooooo slowly. If I really love a book I can read it in a week or less but I reread a favorite, and other good book, and both took me a month! I think how I'm starting to get over it to not stress about it and to realize that sometimes life get's in the way and "more important things need to be done" I suppose. Although, with me as well, reading is my favorite pass time :DD
ReplyDeleteAmber @ bookish wonders
I know what you mean about the slow reading. Even though the book im currently reading is good, I've been reading it for 2 weeks now, and I'm only half way through. Thanks so much for leaving a comment Amber.
DeleteI totally understand! Life does take over, but don't feel bad or beat yourself up... lately I've been lucky to finish one book a week. I like that you allow yourself to step away.
ReplyDeleteEmily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Emily :D
DeleteWhat happened to your blog button?
ReplyDeleteActually Monique, I did the dumbest thing and accidentally erased all of my picture. awful I know! I'm in the process of fixing it, but it may that awhile. My blog button if up next to be repaired.
DeleteOh! I was wondering why your button was not showing up on my blogroll. Awww...that's so sad! But it's easily fixed! :D This site makes it easy to repair the blog button. Sorry about the other lost pictures though.
Deletehttp://www.mycoolrealm.com/sandbox/gbgen/
This post completely spoke to me. I'm right there with you. My biggest challenge is giving myself permission to NOT blog everyday. Because when I miss a day, then I start feeling guilty and feeling anxiety which makes it hard to write. So I remind myself, It's MY blog, if I need a day off, then I take the day. It not like the internet is going to shut down because I missed a post, lol.
ReplyDeleteYes Girl! When I first started blogging, which wasn't but 3 months ago, I thought I had to post something EVERY single day. Um NO!!! Now I don't mind if I don't blog but maybe twice a week. I will NOT blog on the weekends unless I absolutely have to share something that can't wait til Monday, which I never see that happening lol.
ReplyDeleteAnd the whole "writing reviews" thing. I know exactly what you mean. For instance, I just finished Throne of Glass 4 days ago and I still haven't written a review. I use to write one immediately after i was done with a book....I don't know where my writing mojo went.
Sometimes it's good to just take a break. I know I will be taking a couple days off soon. I need it!
Thanks for sharing Monique. Feels good being able to vent :)
Kiss kiss and BIG hugs to you love! ♥♥♥
I always worry that this day will come for me, I definitely go through reading slumps. Don't feel pressured or the fun of blogging will be erased by the feeling that you HAVE to do it. Just take some time off! :) We are all here for you! <3
ReplyDeleteKatrina @ Chased By My Imagination