
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, This weeks list is Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey (so your list could be a mix of a books that got you into reading, an author that got you into reading a genre you never thought you'd read, a book that brought you BACK into read).
I have always loved to read, but I did go through a few different reading stages during my life. I basically had to take what I could get when it came to reading material so when I found an author I liked I stuck with them. This week I've done my list up in a time line.
1980's
① Johnny Lions Rubber Boots by Edith Thacher Hurd
This is the book that started it all for me. It's the first book I remember reading entirely by myself.
1990's
② Nightmare Hall series by Diane Hoh
Early junior high I got back into reading with these teen horror books. Ironically around the same time I started staying home by myself =S
③ Any Harlequin Romance
Shortly after my horror phase I decided I would rather read about boys lol ♥
④ V.C. Andrews
When I was in high school I discovered this author and scoured every flea market I hopes of finding more of her books to read. When I was young there were pretty much next to no books stores around. So I was always at the mercy of what was available for second hand.
⑤ Danielle Steel
I have read so many of Danielle Steels books that I've completely lost count. I even named my daughter after one of her characters. However, I haven't read one of her books in about 8 years.
2000's
⑥ Anne Rice
I went through a phase where I was totally into Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire series and her Mayfair Witches books. To this day I base all of my vampires on the characters from her novels.
⑦ Sydney Sheldon
I really enjoyed his novels but this was about as far as my love of mystery/ suspense went. Sidney Sheldon's books were the first that I ever read, that were written with multiple points of view. Now it is something that I almost prefer.
⑧ J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter helped me out of a 3 year reading slump and opened my eyes up to the world of MG and YA books.
⑨ Rick Riordan
I read these at the same time I discovered that fabulous new invention called ereaders. This was definitely a milestone in my reading journey.
2010's
⑩ Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games started my absolute love of dystopian novels
How about you? What were your gateway books? Fill me in on what would make it on your list. As always, thanks for reading.







I'm reading The Hunger Games this month, I can't wait! Also, I definitely need to read Anne Rice books because I have heard so much about her stories and how good they are! Thanks for dropping y on my list!
ReplyDeleteKatrina @ Chased By My Imagination
I hope you love the Hunger Games as much as I did Katrina. I'm team Peeta btw =D I always was and always will be ♥
DeleteHahah I wasn't even born yet when you read your first book! And how you even remember reading that is unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteMy TTT
I honestly remember my mom reading me Johnny and I also clearly recall the day I read it to my first grade class. The book was so long that my teacher asked me to stop about half way through :/ nice encouragement eh...not.
DeleteI had a very V.C. Andrews stage in my life, didn't every girl in the 90's!?!?! It's great to see them bring it back. Did you see the new Flowers in the Attic book covers? and Movie on Lifetime? They're not bad ;)
ReplyDeleteFun list Monique!!
Chat soon! xoxox
Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books
I was actually really impressed with the 2014 movie. I thought the cast did a great job. I will always prefer the old covers. You know, the ones with the peek a boo holes.
DeleteI still need to read Harry Potter :/ I know, I know. I have no idea what I have been waiting for. I saw all the movies though, so there, that's something :P
ReplyDeleteAngel, you need to read Harry Potter! Just drop what you're doing now and start...jk lol but seriously, they're better then the movies. And not everything that happened in the books made it to the big screen. Thanks for visiting =D
DeleteI think I'd choose a Nancy Drew book or The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. These books completely suck me into their world.
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for the Liebster Award! :)
http://somethingtobrowse.blogspot.com/2014/04/liebster-award.html
Aww, thank you Monique ♥
DeleteI pretty much mentally went tick to most of the books you've listed :D especially J.K. Rowling, Danielle Steel, Rick Riordan and Suzanne Collins. Great list!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I nominated you for the Liebster Award :)
Well then I guess you have some great taste in reading material lol. Thank you for nominating me =D
DeleteI love your List
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for a Liebster Award..
http://gatewaytodifferentworld.blogspot.in/
*Big Smiles* thank you for thinking of me!
DeleteLove how you organized your list!
ReplyDeleteI really need to read Interview with a Vampire.
You should definitely try it Emily. Anne Rice's characters are the perfect vampire specimens.
Delete