-->

Monday, April 7, 2014

Review - The Here and Now by Ann Brashares



The Here and Now by Ann Brashares
Release date - April 8th 2014
Published by Delacorte Press
Hardcover, 288 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads
Buy it here: Amazon / kobo
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯

Description (from Goodreads)

An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world . . . if she lets go of the one thing she’s found to hold on to.
Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.
This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.
Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.
But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.
From Ann Brashares, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, The Here and Now is thrilling, exhilarating, haunting, and heartbreaking—and a must-read novel of the year.

My Review


   On the cusp of the 22nd century, humanity is living on a planet of death. The only way to escape was to time travel to the past, where life on Earth is still safe. Preena and the people in her community of "travelers" they are sworn to never expose what time they traveled from and they go to extreme measures to make sure things stay quiet. Preena has always followed the rules and assumed that the leaders in her community were still doing something to prevent the terrifying future that the planet had coming. As the days draw nearer to that pivotal point in time, it becomes evident to Preena that she , with the help of her friend Ethan, will have to try and change things for the better herself.

  I love time travel books and this story was full of that sci fi goodness that I enjoy so much. I liked that the author wrote about some future technology that Preena has in her time, like memory banking. It sounds so interesting! and I was happy that there was a little bit of Earth's history (future to us) included as well. Preena's character was fascinating. I really enjoyed reading about some of her moments when she first arrived to the 21st century. I also enjoyed that the author explained what the "traveler's" did to try and conform themselves and appear to be from the present time.

  Something I didn't like about this books was the insta love. I really did adore both Preena and Ethan's characters but how he was basically, instantly captivated by Preena, did kind of bother me. They for sure didn't have your typical YA style romance, so I guess in a way that made up for the insta love thing. The other thing I didn't quite believe in the story was in the end, when Preena goes toe to toe with her councilor. The way that the characters reacted at this time was what I found to be inaccurate.

 In conclusion I would like to add that I have been seeing some less than stellar reviews for The Here and Now. It's being compared to the authors previous books. I have never read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, so I couldn't tell you if the series is better then this book but I know what I like, and I liked this. There was good character development and the plot was enjoyable. The story was fast paced and flowed together nicely.
I give this a 4 out of 5 stars.






No comments:

Post a Comment