Today I'm happy to be taking part in the Justice Buried blog tour hosted by Shane at IFB tours.
Justice Buried (Starbright #1)
by Hilary Thompson
Release date - January 15th 2014
Add it to Goodreads
Buy it here - Amazon
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½
Description (from Goodreads)
The people need Justice, but she's not listening. One hundred years before, the Great Sickness reduced the world to three cities. Now the community of Asphodel is trapped underground, waiting for the prophesied maiden of Justice to return and save them from their Fates.
Sixteen-year-old Astrea is supposed to be this savior - too bad for them she isn't a believer. Trea fights against her false destiny: she rebels against her family and friends, then refuses her arranged marriage to the charming but deceitful Lexan. Learning her life is in danger, Trea is forced to trust Lexan - until she discovers a power she never knew she had, and one he already knew he did.
As betrayal closes every door, Trea decides she must submit to her stars and accept her fate. Then a handsome stranger offers her an unexpected escape and the chance to create her own destiny.
Quote
We are an underground people. People who worship the sun, moon, and stars, yet have never seen such things ourselves. My partnership with Lexan allows the prophecy to begin. The star-bright maiden and her scales of justice. I am – without asking, without wanting – a savior of Asphodel.
My Review
I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I loved the astrology and mythology aspect to this story. Not only did I find it interesting, but I also thought it was an original and unique idea, unlike anything I have read before. Justice Buried was an easy flowing, fast paced read with good world building and an interesting place setting. I enjoyed the premise of Asphodel's people living underground for a century waiting for the prophesied one's to lead them to a safe upside.
There was fabulous character development and I really felt that I got to know the characters in this story and watched them grow.. I loved how Astrea and Lexan were paired together based on the times of their births and I also loved that just because they were destined to be together didn't mean that the characters had an intsa love thing going on. Their relationship progressed in a way that I found to be believable. The mystery that unravels towards the end was very entertaining and the love triangle aspect was intriguing. I don't know which guy to root for =\ I liked them both! I can't wait to hopefully find out in the near future, just who Astrea will choose.
In closing, I would like to add that I never had a boring moment reading this novel and that I think Hilary Thompson wrote a spectacular novel for her debut. one thing I would love to see is Astea's diamond implant of the Aries constellation on her face. I'm really curious of what it would look like. I would recommend this to any fans of mythology and YA. I highly look forward to continuing this story with the next installment. I give this a 4 ½ stars out of 5.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hilary Thompson is an independently-published author who released her debut Young Adult novel, Justice Buried, in January, 2014.
Justice Buried is the first in a dystopian fantasy series incorporating mythology and astrology, with the second full-length title due later in 2014. She also teaches high school English, which gives her some insight into her target audience, and helps her maintain a thick skin.
a Rafflecopter giveaway


No comments:
Post a Comment