-->

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Review - Splintered by A. G. Howard






Splintered (Splintered #1)
by A.G. Howard
Release Date: January 1st 2013
Published by: Amulet Books
Hardcover, 371 pages
Goodreads

My Rating -
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½

Description

  This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

  When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.



My Review

 What took me so long to read this book!?! Splintered was excellent and an imaginative read. Full of all those fabulous things that make a great story. A G Howard has turned the classic tale of Alice in Wonderland into something new, dark and sinisterly exciting.

     The wonderland characters were well written  and I had an instant liking to the main character. I had some big feels for the Alyssa, the skater girl. She desperately wanted to hide from the fact that her mother's mental stability may have been passed on to her. The character development on Alyssa and Jeb was just the perfect amount that had the reader in total understanding of what their lives had been like. But  not so much that the plot suffers. I would say that this story was well balanced between them.

  I would really love to learn more about one particular character though. I don't want to spoil anything by taking away the mystery of who he is, so I won't, but I'm really on the fence about how I feel about him. The Plot was exceptional and even gave me a few surprises. The world building was good as well, but I did find it lacking, just a tad.

     In conclusion I would like say that I really loved reading this story and I would highly recommend it to anyone that would enjoy fairytale retellings and young adult stories.

I give this a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.




3 comments:

  1. You have a great blog!! :)
    Well I was wondering if we could follow each other via gfc? visit my blog and let me know if you ara my new follow and I will follow back right away!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I've seen this one around and don't know why I haven't picked it up. It is officially being added to my TBR list.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. :)

    New GFC follower :D

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete