-->

Monday, February 2, 2015

#BookReview - Soulprint by Megan Miranda



Soulprint
by Megan Miranda
Expected Release: February 3rd 2015
Published by Bloomsbury Childrens
Paperback, 368 pages
Source: Publisher
Goodreads
My Rating ✯ ✯ ✯ ½

Description

A new literary, sci-fi thriller from acclaimed author Megan Miranda.

With the science of soul-fingerprinting a reality, Alina Chase has spent her entire life imprisoned for the crimes her past-self committed. In an attempt to clear her name, Alina unintentionally trades one prison for another when she escapes, aided by a group of teens whose intentions and motivations are a mystery to her. As she gets to know one of the boys, sparks fly, and Alina believes she may finally be able to trust someone. But when she uncovers clues left behind from her past life that only she can decipher, secrets begin to unravel. Alina must figure out whether she’s more than the soul she inherited, or if she’s fated to repeat the past.

This compelling story will leave readers wondering if this fictional world could become a reality.

My Review

 Set in a world where reincarnation is a reality and the technology to learn who you were in a past life was a possibility with soul printing. Alina is kept prisoner, confined in isolation due to crimes her soul had committed in a past life. Alina's soul previously belonged to one of the most notorious criminals of her worlds time, and no one wanted to risk the possibility that Alina would channel her previous self. So much to the publics pleasure, she was taken away from her parents and imprisoned as an infant. That is until a group of teens aid her in an daring escape. Not knowing what their intentions were for her, she went with them anyway, glad for a chance to finally break free.

 Alina was an intelligent 17 year old who was desperate to be nothing like her past self, and always trying to escape the image that people expected of her. She was constantly monitored and the staff at her compound was always changing so she couldn't win over anyone's sympathy or make friends. I completely understand why she would jump at the chance to leave her prison without thinking about the consequences first. She was understandably lonely. I truly felt for her character because all she wanted was to be able to live a normal life - her own life.

 Unfortunately, her rescuers had different intentions for her. As their motivations became more obvious Alina began to think in a whole new way. Her self discoveries lead to a well hidden secret, which was clever and believable. As much as I would have liked to have experienced more of the Sci fi elements I found the mystery to be intriguing enough to dismiss that feeling.

  Soulprint was an exciting futuristic read that was shrouded in secrecy, once I started reading it was hard to stop. Certainly a fast paced read that could easily be finished in one or two sittings.

Furthermore, I believe this is a novel that many different booklovers could enjoy. with its thrilling mystery, a small helping of romance, and fascinating sci-fi elements there is something for everyone. Also, I was delighted with the interesting use of technology and hacking. Soul printing and reincarnation was something I have not experienced before and I highly enjoyed wondering if our past lives could influence who we are today.

I give this a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

 * Thank you to Penguin Canada for providing me with a copy.

Buy links





2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting, especially the idea of soul-fingerprinting! Do they develop that a lot? I always hope for as much sci-fi as possible in my sci-fi reads! Well, consider me intrigued by this book! Great review :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't a lot of development of the sci fi elements, just enough to give you a understanding of how it works into the plot. I was a little disappointed with that but I still really enjoyed the book. Thanks for reading Juli =)

    ReplyDelete