All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays, #1) by Cristin Terrill
Release date - August 1st 2013
Published by Bloomsbury Childrens
Paperback, 362 pages
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet.
Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.
Quote
“We’ll move fast,” Finn says, “before they realize something’s wrong. Besides, what are they going to do? See our different clothes and slightly aged faces and say ‘It must be Marina and Finn from the future! Stop them!’”
My Review
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Wow. I was pretty amazed at how much I enjoyed reading this book. It immediately jumped right into the story with with a high octane beginning, and I was hooked after the first page. Time travel is such a interesting topic for me because there are so many different probabilities that can happen due to a time paradox.
Em has tried everything, even if she can't remember, to prevent her horrible future from recurring. The only possible solution left is to go back in time and kill someone that she'd been hoping to save. It would be difficult knowing that the fate of the world was on her shoulders. Thank goodness she didn't have to go through it alone, she had Finn.
I really liked Finn. He made me laugh and I love a guy that can make me laugh. He endured all the same hardships as Em and is really the only other person that can relate to her. Together they work to find a way to fix the nightmare they've been living.
The chapters alternated between the future and past Em/ Marina's points of view. I liked this. It was amazing to see how different the lead protagonist has become after the ability to time travel changed the world. Marina was a naive young girl who also happened to be a bit of a snob. Four years later she's calculating and driven, but still has a softness in her heart for everyone involved.
The last few chapters of this story were so full of emotion. They were sadly beautiful last moments to end the story on. The only thing I didn't like about the book was about Marina and her parent troubles. When they set her down for a talk it just felt like page filler to me and had nothing to do with the plot.
In conclusion I will say that All Our Yesterdays was a fabulous story. There wasn't a boring moment, and I read it in one sitting. I recommend this to all YA, sci fi fans. I give this a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment