Perfection (Perfection #1) by J.L. Spelbring
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Published by Spencer Hill Press
Kindle Edition, 331 pages
Source: NetGalley
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯
Description
The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.
Only Ellyssa isn't perfect.
Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she encounters the epitome of inferiority: a dark-haired boy raised among renegades hiding since the Nazis won the war a century ago. He speaks to her telepathically, pushing thoughts into her mind, despite the impossibility of such a substandard person having psychic abilities.
But he does.
His unspoken words and visions of a place she's never visited make Ellyssa question her creator. Confused and afraid her secret will be discovered, Ellyssa runs away, embarking on a journey where she discovers there is more to her than perfection.
My Review
I was incredibly intrigued after reading the synopsis for this story. I had imaged interesting scenarios for a world where Hitler had won the war. Perfection fell more on the level of mediocre after reading it, and didn't live up to what my own imagination dreamed up after reading the book's description.
Ellyssa's character is strong, fearless and deadly. She, along with her sister and two brother's are the product of her Der Vater's (father) vision of perfection. Created with flawless genetic coding to become the ultimate specimen of humankind. Taught at an extremely young age to harness and use her superior abilities Ellyssa and her siblings were also taught to never feel any emotion other than hate. However, Ellyssa still experienced them, she just kept that fact well hidden. In the beginning of the novel I was quite entertained with Ellyssa and her thoughts involving her life inside the center, and with the display of what she could do.
Unfortunately, there was a long dragging section in the middle of the novel. Also there was beyond fast instant-love, which occurred almost immediately and made no sense at all. Character and world building are important to me, however I felt that this book was longer than it needed to be and could've done without a few unneeded sections as well as the near rape scene between Ellyssa and one of the rebels.
In conclusion I will add that even though the story fell short of the expectations I had, it was still a likable read.
I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
Buy it here - Amazon / B&N
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.


It's too bad that there are some pretty serious (in my opinion) negatives in this book. I'm with you - that synopsis sounds amazing! I hate it when a book drags. Sometimes a 300 page book can turn into a three week read for me if it's super slow. I also hate insta-love. Ugh. At least I know now that I probably need to pass on this one. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteTracy @ Cornerfolds