-->

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review - Breathe by Sarah Crossan


Breathe by Sarah Crossan
Release Date - October 2nd 2012
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing
Paperback, 384 pages
Add it to Goodreads

Description (from Goodreads)

Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe . . .The world is dead. The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.
Alina has been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.
Quinn should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.
Bea wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.
And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?


Quote

“I will die because I knew there had to be a better way to live.” - Bea




My Review.

 Breathe really spoke to me, I am a huge tree lover and can not fathom a world with no trees. It would be horrible and not just because of oxygen levels disappearing, I would never be able to cope in a desert like world. Having grown up in the outskirts of the city I've always been surrounded by trees and plan to keep it that way. This story switches back and forth from Bea, Quinn and Alina's  points of view, which I love because you get to read the tale from more then one perspective and get a more rounded story.

 Quinn is a pampered but down to earth boy who lives in the upper class of section of the dome. He is referred to as a premium  and has a circle tattooed on his ear to prove his place in their society.  I really liked Quinn's character. He was very down to earth for having grown up as a premium. I also thought he was extraordinarily courageous in the events that took place during their journey outside the dome. He never let his cushy upbringing stop him from following a path that was difficult and bravely stand up for what he believes in. Nor did he ever let it stop him from being friends with Bea.

 Bea is a girl who always wonders if there will be enough air for her to breathe without her parents having to work themselves to the bone to pay for it. Things like exercising and musical instruments are not possible for people living in the dome and were auxiliaries not premiums.

Alina is part of the resistance and knows the truth about why the trees won't grow. She can envision a life without air tanks and filtered air.

 Since Quinn was a premium it was easy for him to obtain a few tanks of air for both Bea and himself, which they needed for their 2 day camping trip outside the dome.
 Upon their departure, unexpectedly, they aided Alina  with passage into the outlands.

 Alina appreciated the help that they gave her but she planned on ditching them as soon as she could. But things didn't go as she planned and when Quinn and Bea came to realize that Breathe has actually been doing they discover a cause worth fighting for - even die for.

 Once again this story really struck a cord with me. If I was living in this imaginary world I could easily see myself illegally trying to grow something and proudly fight beside the other members of the resistance.
 I give this a 4 out of 5 stars and am anxiously awaiting the next installment.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Buy it here:
Amazon.com
kobo.com

Places you can find Sarah Cossan
Links
Website - www.sarahcrossan.com 
Twitter -@SarahCrossan





Free Blog Buttons Butterfly”=

No comments:

Post a Comment