-->

Friday, May 3, 2013

Review - The Elite by Kiera Cass




The Elite (Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass
Release date - April 23rd 2013
Published  by Harper Teen
Hardcover, 323 pages
Source - Purchased
Add it to Goodreads

Description (from Goodreads)

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


My Review

 We find America where we left her, in the palace with the six remaining girls from the selection. They are now the elite and one of these girls will become Maxon's future wife and one day, the queen of Illeà. America is unsure of her true feelings for the prince. She wants to open up and let Maxon into her heart but its not easy to dismiss the way she feels about her first love, Aspen and seeing him almost everyday as a guard in the palace did not make it easy to forget about.

 When a horrifying event takes place her feelings towards royal life changes but perhaps this was best because Maxon had been spending more time with one of the girls and less with her.

 I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the bachelor type theme of the selection and also discovering what kind of man Maxon is. I like him. To me he comes off as a shy and dutiful prince, yet brave and strong at the same time. He had no choice in the matter of the selection or to have the private and intimate moments of his life broadcasted for all of Illeà to see. He handled it as well as could be expected.

 I'm not the biggest fan of America though. Even if she does have some really great qualities I don't like how she is playing both Maxon and Aspen. She keeps telling both the guys that she's confused and needs time but then will turn around and smooch with the other one. I think she should just decided before she gets caught sneaking around with Aspen.

 The rebels attacking the palace added the excitement this book needed. Why they are attacking isn't fully clear but I'm sure that is has something about the appalling caste system that Illeà's citizens live by. The caste system works like this: it starts with Ones (the royal family), Two and Threes (the wealthy), Four and Fives (poor), Six and Sevens (barely able to survive) and Eights (I have no idea how these people can be alive). The people are only permitted to have professions that reflect their level in society, no matter how smart they are, with the worst jobs going the the lowest castes. It is an unfair place to live indeed but makes for a good read.

 I give this a 3 ½ out of 5 stars and I am interested in finding out which girl Maxon picks in the next book in the series.
✯ ✯ ✯ ½

Would I read it again? No

Buy it here:

Chapters/Indigo.com

Amazon.com


Places you can find Kiera Cass
Links
Website - www.kieracass.com/
Goodreads - www.goodreads.com/author/kiera_Cass
Twitter - www.twitter.com/kieracass

1 comment:

  1. Great review!! I agree completely with basically everything you said XD

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete