-->

Monday, May 27, 2013

Review - Origin by Jessica Khoury




Origin by Jessica Khoury 
Release date - September 4th 2012
Published  by Razorbill
Hardcover, 394 pages
Source - purchased
Add it to Goodreads

Description (from Goodreads)

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.


Quote

“Remember, Pia,” he whispers. “Perfect is as perfect does.” - Antonio


My Review

 Pia is perfect and thanks to the Elysia flower she's also immortal. Pia will never get sick, her skin is impenetrable, she will never die but she is one of a kind. Pia's biggest wish is to finally pass all of  Paolos tests and become a member of the scientists team Immortis so they can begin to make other immortals.

 On her seventeenth birthday everything changes. She finds a way out of her enclosed home which leads out into the jungle, Pia ceases the opportunity to explore. That is when she meets Eio. He makes her feel and question things she never thought of before, which leads her to the discovery of a horrifying truth about her happy little home in Little Cam.

 I first picked Origin up because of the cover, I think it is beautiful. Just the outline of Pia standing in the Amazon jungle holding the Elysia flower, I thought it was brilliant.

 I loved reading this book, the story had me asking many questions like, why is Pia the only immortal? What was the accident? Will she find away to keep seeing Eio? And what is the big secret? Of course to find these things out I had to keep reading the book and I enjoyed every page turning moment. The science part that goes along with the story was easy to follow and understand as well as the interpretation from the Ai'oan natives.

 I adored Pia and felt some major sympathy for the girl that lived in a glass room and had a team of scientists poking at her all the time. She never minded any of this but she didn't know anything different. Pia never let the coldheartedness of her upbringing harden her and take away her compassion for others.

Eio was great and I liked reading the parts of the story that included him. I loved his persistence at continuing to see his 'Pia bird'.

 My favorite character is Harriet, since she was new to Little Cam she wasn't around to watch Pia grow up therefore she treated she like no one else had before. I thought she was gutsy and loved her tell it like it is attitude. The whole story is told from Pia's point of view except for the epilogue in the end and in my opinion was a excellent way to end this stand alone novel.

 If you like science fiction / young adult this story is a keeper. I give it a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½
Would I read it again? Quite possibly, yes.


Buy it here:

Chapters/Indigo
Amazon


Places you can find Jessica Khoury
Links
Website - www.jessicakhoury.com/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/jkbibliophile


8 comments:

  1. New follower here. I stumbled across your blog through a goodreads thread!

    I look forward to your future posts and hope i can get some great suggestions from your list of reviews.Hope i can see you back at either one of my blogs.

    twinjabookreviews.blogspot.com

    yamulticulturaljunkie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow :D If your ever in need of a recommendation just give me shout, I love to share my favorite books with others.

    I checked out your blog and its lovely,I will be going back to visit you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I loved Origin also, and if you check out my blog (I think you already have) at www.enchantedbyabook.blogspot.com and look under the Author Interviews page I did an interview with the Author, Jessica Khoury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Sarah I checked on your blog and couldn't find your interview right away but I did read your review of Origin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book in my closet for so long. I really need to get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a unique and wonderful read Jazmen and a stand alone too, which is a nice break from all the incomplete series I've been reading. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I found this book to be sooo simple! For me, it lacked smart, witty dialogue. Is this going to be a series, though? The end was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure that Origin is a stand alone novel, unless the author changed her mind since May.
    I loved that the story was easy going and thought it was great for young adult fans. Sometimes we need a little simplicity in our lives. Thanks so much for reading and sharing your opinion :-)

    ReplyDelete