Erasing Time (Erasing Time, #1) by C. J. Hill
Released date - August 28th 2012
Published by Katherine Tegen Books
Hardcover, 368 pages
Source - Gifted
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
When twins Sheridan and Taylor wake up 400 years in the future, they find a changed world: domed cities, no animals, and a language that's so different, it barely sounds like English. And the worst news: They can't go back home.
The twenty-fifth-century government transported the girls to their city hoping to find a famous scientist to help perfect a devastating new weapon. The same government has implanted tracking devices in the citizens, limiting and examining everything they do. Taylor and Sheridan have to find a way out of the city before the government discovers their secrets. To complicate matters, the mob like Dakine has interest in getting hold of them too. The only way for the girls to elude their pursuers is to put their trust in Echo, a guy with secrets of his own. The trio must put their faith in the unknown to make a harrowing escape into the wilds beyond the city.
Full of adrenaline-injected chases and heartbreaking confessions, Erasing Time explores the strength of the bonds between twins, the risks and rewards of trust, and the hard road to finding the courage to fight for what you believe in.
Quote
“Time travel is impossible. It’s a scientific fact.” - Taylor
My Review
Sheridan and Taylor are twin sisters, who by no fault of their own were plucked out of their 21 century life and plopped 400 years into the future. The worst part, they made a mistake, they meant to get someone else.
The year 2447 is definitely not what the sister were used to. Everyone was extremely tall, they spoke a strange language and their fashion was a bit.... colorful. The one upside is Echo, a wordsmith and a specialist on the 21st century. With no hope of ever making it home Sheridan and Taylor make plans to somehow destroy the timespinner before the scientists ruin someone else's life by transporting them into the future.
I loved reading this futuristic story. Time travel has always interested me and that is what originally sparked my interest in reading Erasing Time. The fact that the plot of the story was exciting was just icing on the cake. This story is told from both Sheridan and Echo's perspectives.
Sheridan and Taylor are typical twin sisters where one feels over shadowed by the other. Sheridan believes herself to be responsible and quiet while Taylor, is the smart and daring. So when Echo begins to spend extra time with her, she wonders why. I'm glad that during this traumatic experience she had Echo there for some form of comfort and promises that he will do everything he can to help her. I could not fathom this happening to me. I don't think I would be so quick to except this unchangeable occurrence but the girls handled it well. A little to well. I would expect teenage girls to be a bit more devastated with their predicament. I guess maybe its the fact that Taylor is a genius with physics that they have confidence that she will one day find them a way home.
Echo was going through some rather large problems of his own when he and his father witnessed the timespinner actually succeed in bringing someone from the past into the future. He told himself that he didn't have the time to worry about the time riders but he worried anyways. He couldn't abandon these girls after all they had lost but he wondered how long he could stay until the Dakine, some seriously bad guys, took a closer look at him. I truly liked Echo. Just the fact that he cared about what happened to the sisters when the scientist would be happy with giving them a memory wash, tells me that he is a caring man. He stays true to his word about wanting to help them which makes him trustworthy in my books. But really who do they have to trust otherwise in a world so different then their own
Something else I enjoyed in the book was the humor. When the girls took advantage of the fact that Echo and his father didn't understand 21st century slang, they spoke in figures of speech, a example being 'don't let the cat out of the bag' and 'we'll strike when the iron is hot', so they could make their plan to escape. It got a giggle out of me every time, mainly because Jeth always took it literal and was confused each time.
There was one bombshell this book delivered that I did not see coming until it was about to happen. There were signs along the way that could have had me suspicious but C. J. Hill did a great job of 'pulling the wool over my eyes'.
The only one negative thing I would say is that I did space out some times with all of the scientific time travel talk. Even though it was dumbed down my brain just didn't fully take on what they were talking about but I did get the gist of it so I knew what was going on.
With all that said I give this a 4 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
I look forward to reading book #2 Echo in Time, in December 2013.
Would I read it again? Maybe. Then I might understand the science stuff better.
Buy it here:
Chapters/Indigo
Amazon
Places you can find C. J. Hill
Links
Website - www.cjhillbooks.com/
Blog - http://www.cjhillbooks.blogspot.ca
Goodreads - www.goodreads.com/author/show/4670825.C_J_Hill
I look forward to reading book #2 Echo in Time, in December 2013.
Would I read it again? Maybe. Then I might understand the science stuff better.
Buy it here:
Chapters/Indigo
Amazon
Places you can find C. J. Hill
Links
Website - www.cjhillbooks.com/
Blog - http://www.cjhillbooks.blogspot.ca
Goodreads - www.goodreads.com/author/show/4670825.C_J_Hill

Hey nice review! This looks interesting and I love time travel books!
ReplyDeleteThanks Martha :-) I really enjoyed reading it and am excited for the next book to be published.
ReplyDelete