The Testing (The Testing #1) by Joelle Charbonneau
Expected publication: June 4th 2013
Published by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children - Website
Ebook, 336 pages
Source - Net Galley
Add it to Goodreads
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Isn’t that what they say? But how close is too close when they may be one in the same?
The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation’s chosen few who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing—their one chance at a college education and a rewarding career.
Cia Vale is honored to be chosen as a Testing candidate; eager to prove her worthiness as a University student and future leader of the United Commonwealth. But on the eve of her departure, her father’s advice hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies--trust no one.
But surely she can trust Tomas, her handsome childhood friend who offers an alliance? Tomas, who seems to care more about her with the passing of every grueling (and deadly) day of the Testing. To survive, Cia must choose: love without truth or life without trust.
My Review
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
In a world that was almost annihilated by war it is up to the new generation of people to try and restore all that has been destroyed. The first step in this process is the Testing. It is like it says it is, a series of tests to determine who is qualified to move on to university and one day become the leaders of the nation.
Cia lives in the Five lakes colony and has always dreamed of being picked to be a candidate for the testing, just like her father was. However, when she was finally chosen her excitement faltered when her father warned her to trust no one and shared with her some of the fragmented memories from of his experience.
She notices from the start that some of the testers are willing to be ruthless to insure their spot at the university. Luckily she has Tomas, a boy from her colony, to share in the four stages of the testing with her but towards the end of their experience she wonders who she can really trust, including him.
I loved this book. I am a big fan of YA dystopian / post apocalyptic novels and was not disappointed with this story. Understandably, in this ravished world where most water is toxic and the ground is barren and unable to grow crops, would need highly intelligent people to restore the planet to its former glory. So it makes since that the Commonwealth would want to find the most exceptional teenagers to educate and one day become their future leaders.
The testing is mentally exhausting and Cia handles it with confidence. Her determination will not allow her to fail and this is probably my favorite quality about her. She doesn't let the stress overtake her, which helps her to keep a cool head and think things through fully. This in my mind is a sign of a great leader. I did feel that she had a bit of an advantage in the testing due to her fathers shared memories and I wonder if she would have done so well in the testing center if it wasn't for him telling her to trust no one.
I found this story to be highly entertaining. A for sure page turner that has you wondering what the testers were going to be put through next. If your a fan of dystopian novels this ones for you. Cia goes up against contaminated waters, mutated animals and other candidates who will do anything to pass the test. Once you start reading you won't be able to stop.
I give this a 4 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Would I read it again? Yes
Per order it here:
http://www.hmhco.com/
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca
Download the prequel for free here:
http://www.hmhbooks.com/thetestingtrilogy/prequel.html
Places you can find Joelle Charbonneau
Links
Website joellecharbonneau.com/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/jcharbonneau
Facebook - www.facebook.com/AuthorJoelleCharbonneau
Would I read it again? Yes
Per order it here:
http://www.hmhco.com/
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca
Download the prequel for free here:
http://www.hmhbooks.com/thetestingtrilogy/prequel.html
Places you can find Joelle Charbonneau
Links
Website joellecharbonneau.com/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/jcharbonneau
Facebook - www.facebook.com/AuthorJoelleCharbonneau

Yay - I'm so glad you liked this one! I have a proof copy to read but it doesn't come out until August in the UK so I've been saving it. Might cave soon though ;) I love dystopia so I've been really excited about it. Lovely review!
ReplyDeleteThe Testing was a treat to read and if I have noticed anything about your reviews in the past its that we have pretty similar taste in books. so I would confidently say that you'll love it :-) oh and thanks for the comment, I love hearing when someone enjoys my reviews.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this one too, it was definitely a page turner. I think that Charbonneau worked really hard to come up with a convincing and detailed world.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree Michelle. Thanks for commenting.
Delete