Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
by Danielle Paige
Release Date - April 1st 2014
Published by HarperCollins
Hardcover, 452 pages
Add it to Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½
Description
I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened? Dorothy.
They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head.
And now no one is safe.
And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission.
Retellings of old classic stories is really becoming a huge go to read for me as of late. Since I was a young girl The Wizard of Oz has always been an intriguing story for me, but I did find it to be a bit old fashioned. That's one of the reasons that I loved this more modern feel to the story in Danielle Paige's, Dorothy Must Die.
Dorothy as the bad guy? what a new and refreshing way to look at this story, I for one was pretty impressed with it. I enjoyed the reversal on good vs wicked and the world building was phenomenal, I never had any problem imagining the things that the author described.
This story is about Amy, a poor girl living in the trailer park with no friends (other than a rat), and a messed up mama. I suppose that the tornado that picked up her house and brought to to Oz was actually a blessing. If I could describe Amy in one word I would use spunky because I actually thought 'well this girl has got some spunk' a few times while reading the book.
There were many qualities that made this a great story. World building, pacing, chapter development and an imaginative plot. My only one hype was that I was a bit disappointed with the ending.
I give this a 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
Have you read this book? Fill me in on what you thought. Thanks so much for reading =D

I bet this is a really fun book! It kind of reminds me of the Wizard of Oz Halloween special on Supernatural - have you seen it? I'm adding it to my TBR list :)
ReplyDeleteTracy @ Cornerfolds
I've never watched Supernatural =/ I keep meaning to because I adore Jensen Ackles ♥ ever since the first time I saw him in Dark Angel. Have you ever watched that?
DeleteDorothy Must Die is definitely a fun read I hope you like it.
Thanks for reading my review Tracy =D