See Me by Wendy Higgins
Release Date: March 17th 2014
Published by Wendy Higgins
ebook, 313 pages
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Description
While most seventeen-year-old American girls would refuse to let their parents marry them off to a stranger, Robyn Mason dreams of the mysterious McKale in Ireland, wondering how he’ll look and imagining his cute Irish accent. Prearranged bindings are common for magical families like her own, however when she travels to the whimsical Emerald Isle she discovers there’s more to her betrothal and McKale’s clan than she was led to believe.
What starts as an obligatory pairing between Robyn and McKale morphs over time into something they both need. But one giant obstacle stands in the way of their budding romance: a seductive and deadly Fae princess accustomed to getting what she wants—and what she wants is McKale as her plaything. Love, desire, and jealousies collide as Robyn’s family and McKale’s clan must work together to outsmart the powerful Faeries and preserve the only hope left for the people.
My Review
I was quickly pulled into this story with its delightful characters and terrific writing. While I did find the plot to be a bit weak and underdeveloped, the world building and character development made up for it. I'm normally a greedy reader and want to have it all, a great plot and great characters. But this character driven story completely won me over.
Robyn has always known that she would one day be expected to leave everything she was accustom to and move to Ireland to marry a complete stranger before her 18th birthday she had to or face horrific consequences for her and her family. You see, her marriage was being enforced by the Fae king in hopes of reviving and ancient line of the Chaun. And you do not question the King's orders. Just be happy he let you live.
I loved that Robyn had a tight family. Her parents were very involved in all aspects of Robyn and her sister Cassidy's lives. I found it refreshing to find active parents playing a part in the comings and goings of their children in a YA novel. I also loved that the teens in this book acted like normal teenagers. They got into mischief, romances and some good old fashioned tomfoolery. Something that I wasn't fond of in this book was that some of the people from McKale's (Robyn's betrothed) clan are incredibly sexist. This bothered me more than it probably should have.
In closing, I will once again add that the plot was not a thriller for me but I loved reading this book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that would be looking for a fun, refreshing and light read.
I give this a 4 out of 5 stars
.jpg)

Sounds good, I'll have to add it to my list! You know I just realized how few books there are set in Ireland. I feel like that's such a cool place with interesting customs and mythology that can be explored. Anyway, thanks for the review!
ReplyDelete-Ashley
What's Your Story?
I never thought about it, but I've only read a few books set in Ireland. It seems like such a magical place to me and rich with history. Thanks for reading my review Ashley =D
DeleteThe blurb for this book is really interesting. I cannot imagine having an arranged marriage at 17 years old! You make a good point in your review though: most teens in YA books get away with a lot more than my friends and I did growing up. I know my parents didn't let me just come and go as I pleased. Kids in YA never seem to have curfews... Great review!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to hear you liked my review Tracy =D thank you for reading and commenting ♥
Delete