Anomaly (Schrodinger's Consortium #1) by Tonya Kuper
Release Date: November 25th 2014
Published by Entangled Teen
Kindle Edition,
Source: NetGalley
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ½
Description
Reality is only an illusion.
Except for those who can control it…
Worst. Birthday. Ever.
My first boyfriend dumped me—happy birthday, Josie!—my dad is who knows where, I have some weird virus that makes me want to hurl, and now my ex is licking another girl’s tonsils. Oh, and I’m officially the same age as my brother was when he died. Yeah, today is about as fun-filled as the swamps of Dagobah. But then weird things start happening…
Like I make something materialize just by thinking about it.
When hottily-hot badass Reid Wentworth shows up on a motorcycle, everything changes. Like, everything. Who I am. My family. What really happened to my brother. Existence. I am Oculi, and I have the ability to change reality with my thoughts. Now Reid, in all his hotness, is charged with guiding and protecting me as I begin learning how to bend reality. And he’s the only thing standing between me and the secret organization that wants me dead…
My Review
Josie was having an unpleasant 17th birthday. Her boyfriend had just dumped her, so Josie's friend's wanted to take her out for a night she would never forget. They were right. It resulted in her life changing forever. After meeting Reid and his friend Santos, Josie discovers that she is an Anomaly. This is a inherited phenomenon which gives her the power to push and retract objects by using the power of her mind.
My favourite element about this novel was Josie's character. She was funny, a little nerdy, and immensely brilliant. She often made references to various pop culture topics. Which I loved. It made Josie more relatable, and realistic. Although this book was told from both her and Reese's point of view. I think that the novel would have worked better if it was just told from Josie's view alone. The switching back and forth between pov's was a slightly confusing during certain moments in the story.
Also, it's my opinion that there could have been a few less training scenes. Learning about Josie mastering her Oculi powers was interesting, but I found that page after page of her learning it, to be redundant. There was one part in the book that was predictable, and one part that didn't make much sense to me concerning Josie's mother. However, I can't discuss the specifics of that without inserting some spoilers, so I won't clarify. You'll just have to see for yourself :)
Furthermore, I liked the idea behind this novel. It was unique, with likable characters and an intriguing plot.
I give this a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

i hope she retract that ex of hers
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought of that Ailya. But she totally should lol. Who dumps someone on their birthday? What a jerk eh?
Delete