Puppet by Pauline C. Harris
Release Date: October 2014
Published by Patchwork Press
Paperback, 246 pages
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ½
Description
Penelope lives in a world of advanced technology but many claim society has yet to catch up. Marionettes have advanced in the form of robots; life like creations remote controlled to perform super human tasks.
When Penelope makes a deal with Jed, a marionette-obsessed scientist, she doesn’t fully realize what she’s getting herself into. In order for Jed to take her away from the orphanage she lives in, she must first agree to undergo his experiments and tests, ultimately creating something no one ever dreamed possible; the first living marionette.
As Jed shows off his scientific creation to the world, concerns arise surrounding Penelope’s abilities and what she’s capable of doing. Ordered to somehow lessen her abilities, Jed makes a desperate attempt to change Penelope to make her more human, more vulnerable. After Penelope lies to the officials about her past, Jed makes sure it’s the last one she’ll ever utter. The truth is now the only thing she is capable of telling.
As Penelope struggles with her past, her disturbingly new present, and her uncertain future, she is thrust into a magically twisted world of mayhem in search of the one thing she wants, but knows she can never have. The chance to be just a girl again. To be normal. To be real.
My Review
This book has more of a sci-fi/mad scientist feel verses a retelling like the blurb lead me to believe. There may be some similarities to Pinocchio and Penelope stories, but I would not call this a retelling.
I did find that the idea of Jed transforming Penelope into a living marionette extremely odd. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this in the first place. The other thing that didn't make sense to me was why Penelope would agree to become Jed's guinea pig in the first place. Furthermore, in what world could a man walk into an orphanage, select an unwanted child to perform experiment's on, and it is perfectly okay!?. Unfortunately, I also had a problem with the characters. I wasn't fond of any of them. Obviously, as a reader I want to relate in some way to a character, or be won over by their personality and redeeming qualities. These characters displayed none of this.
Near the end of the book the plot went in a completely different direction. It was the most thrilling part. There was mystery and intrigue revealing the depth of Jed's true intentions for Pen. I wish the storyline could have focused more on this particular aspect.
In conclusion I will add that for this reader the first three quarters of Puppet unbelievable and frustrating. It wasn't until the last few chapters that I began to become interested in the events transpiring. Due to my dislikes overpowering my likes, I give this a 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

wow.. so dark and broody
ReplyDeleteYes, that it was.
DeleteIt is so frustrating when a book is completely unbelievable. I feel like I can only suspend my disbelief so much and the author kind of has to meet me halfway. I haven't read the book, but I'd have a hard time with the whole "guy walks into an orphanage" situation too. I'll probably steer clear of this one. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteTracy @ Cornerfolds
It's a shame because the originality of the story seems intriguing. Perhaps if the author would have taken her time, and thought of a more plausible explanation it could have been more better.
DeleteSo sorry the book didn't work out, Monique :( I have a hard time liking books when I don't 'click' with the characters, and I know how you feel - it can be so frustrating! And I have say I couldn't accept the walking into a orphanage and taking a kid out, either. That would be a deal breaker for me, and I don't think I'd be able to get past it! Great review, Monique :)
ReplyDeleteI never realized for a long time how important fluent character building really was to me. After reading so many expertly written books over the years I just can't accept these under par characters. Thank you for reading my review Alma =D <3
DeleteIt's a shame that you didn't manage to enjoy this book much :/ It does sound like an odd reasoning to everything, and I think if the author had given more reasoning behind their choices, the story may have made more sense. I hope your next read is more enjoyable! And I do like the cover, though ^^
ReplyDeleteThe cover is gorgeous, I think its actually my favourite thing about this novel =/
Delete