-->

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Review - The 100 by Kass Morgan



The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan 
Release date - September 3rd 2013 (first published January 1st 2013)
Published By: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley
Kindle Edition, 323 pages
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Purchase Links: Amazon / Kobo / B&N


Description

 In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

 Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.





My Review

  The 100 is set in future after, the Cataclysm killed billions of people and made the Earth uninhabitable for all. So for generations, the descendant's of the few lucky survivors have been living in space, waiting for the day when they can return to their planet. 100 teen's which had been living in confinement for crimes they committed, will be the first to find out if it is the paradise they've been waiting for, or if the radiation will kill them all before they have a chance to enjoy it.

This book is told from four different points of view. They are as follows:.

Bellamy -  He lives in a society where the majority of people are lucky to be given permission to have one child, when others aren't allowed to have any at all. This makes it rare for anyone to have a sibling. Bellamy is one of these rare people and he is fiercely protective of his little sister, Octavia. Big brother goes to some drastic measures to protect her. His character was my favourite. I thought his story was the most interesting, and  enjoyed envisioning him discovering what Earth was actually like for the first time. No one seemed to appreciate this quite like he did.

Clark - Other than the love story, involving Wells, I enjoyed Clark part in this book. Reading the scenes that involved her friend Lily (which were memories), was immensely touching.  However, it also angered me how Lily came to be Clark's friend in the first place. I just have to add that I absolutely believe that her parents got exactly what they deserved.

Glass - Her story was my next favorite point of view. This is likely due to my curiosity of wanting to know how she became confined along with the group of 100 in the first place. And because her part takes place in space.

Wells -  This character was my least favourite. I didn't trust him at all and I believe that Clark shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the reason why she hates him in the first place.

 What should have been an exciting story about 100 kids returning to a long ago deserted Earth after generations of being space locked. Became a story about teen angst that involved a couple of interesting turns of events. I think that the story would have worked out much better with just Bellamy and Clark's pov's.

 In conclusion, while I did like certain aspects, along with different parts of the story, I was still a tad bit disappointed with it. It began to get genuinely exciting...then left off on a cliffhanger. I would like to continue on with this series with the hope that the pace will pick up, and maybe there will be less romance.
I give this a 3 out of  5 stars.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

* Side note -  The 100 is currently a TV series on the CW. I've watched it, and that's why it I was so interested in reading this book. I actually enjoyed the show, more so than the novel.


5 comments:

  1. How could I not have heard about this book?? It looks great. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the show and then I found out it was a book I was quite surprised myself that I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for reading =D

      Delete
  2. I've heard two negative reviews and no really great ones... I think I might have to pass on this one. I'm sorry you didn't love it. It's really too bad because it does sound like a really good story! Oh well. Thanks for sharing :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't the best book that I ever read, but I still enjoyed it. I just wish that there wasn't so many points of view and a little bit less romance would have made me happier. Still readable though.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am not aware that the show was from a book! Glad that I know it now! Totally gonna read it! :D

    ReplyDelete