Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
by Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: November 15th 2011
Published by Harper
Hardcover, 338 pages
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Description
I have a curse
I have a gift
I am a monster
I'm more than human
My touch is lethal
My touch is power
I am their weapon
I will fight back
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
My Review
Shatter me was a riveting and unique read with a fluent, evolving storyline told from the point of view of Juliette, a girl with a touch of death. She had been locked up by her parents and society in an asylum because they perceived her to be an uncontrollable threat. This sad, lonely girl that constantly debated her existence is eventually joined by a new cellmate, Adam. His was the first voice that she had heard in a year. It's the start of a string of events that will lead to Juliet discovering her own self worth for the first time in her life, and along with that the realization that not everyone that she touches will die.
I seriously loved Juliette. I desperately wanted to give this girl a hug and tell her that I would be her friend. Her character was realistic with her thoughts and emotions. She has such a kind heart and is devastated over what effect she has on people. I was so happy for the connection between her and Adam, whom I adored.
I did, however completely surprise myself by extremely liking the villain, Warner. Even though he is a somewhat crazy (and controlling) 19-year-old boy, I couldn't stop myself from getting excited when I read scenes that involved him. He had ambition and went for exactly what he wanted. Warner took meticulous care of his clothes and hygiene. I liked this. Also, he held himself with great composure, and it was hard to rattle his cage. I suspect it was the scene when he showed genuine concern for his mother, after just a mere mention of her, that sealed the deal on how much I like him. Seriously, I think I may be in love.
Furthermore, I will add that I believed this book to be superbly fantastic! I flew through the pages, and I had a difficult time putting it down when it needed to be done. I highly recommend.
I give this a 5 out of 5 stars.

I also have a problem with liking the villains too much... Oh well. I've seen the cover of this book but I've honestly never stopped to read the description. It does sound really good and your review has me convinced! It's so nice when you can actually enjoy the protagonist. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteTracy @ Cornerfolds
I haven't felt this way about a book character in some time. Its a seriously fabulous read and I happy I've convinced you Tracy =D
Delete