Are you completely loyal to your To Be Read list? Making sure that you read every single one of the books that you swore you would read, in order? Or perhaps temptation sways your better judgment when your sights become set on some new to you book eye candy? Ya know, that book that looks and sounds so incredibly fabulous it causes you to drop what you're doing, buy it and put it right at the top of the list, with the best intentions of course to continue on with your intended list of books?
Personally, I am horrible at sticking to my TBR. I'm constantly changing the titles around. So yeah, I guess that makes me a book cheater ;) This happens to this reader due to three different reasons:
#1 - I choose what I want to read based on what I am in the mood for at the time.
#2 - I have no self control when it comes to getting new reading material.
#3 - If I received a book for review, it gets placed on the top of the list.
These all seem like perfectly excusable reasons to stray from a specific list to me. It also helps me keep reading fresh and entertaining. Verses turning it into a chore.
Additionally, I will add that in a perfect world, I would love to be able to tackle all of the books on my never ending TBR. Alas, there is only one of me and an unlimited amount of intriguing novels out there waiting to be read.
To wrap up, even though I will probably never stop adding books to my list, I do not think I will ever entirely stick to the order I placed them in. However, I will always have a TBR to use as a general basis in what I am most interested in reading at the time. After all It's easy to lose track of so many titles floating around in my head. Having a list at least insures that there is less chance of me forgetting about a certain book forever.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic. I would truly like to know if there are other book cheater's out there in the world.
I sooooo cheat my TBR pile. I think I use it primarily as a designation that it caught my attention at one point. If the book catches my attention again and I see that I added it to be TBR pile, that usually means I may read it again soon. But mostly, I just go by my moods! I do request a few ARCs, but I try to keep that list really short so I have the freedom to read what I feel like reading.
ReplyDeleteAlso, hope you don't mind, but I nominated you for a Liebster: http://bennitheblog.com/bookbiters/happy-laborliebster-day/
Thank you for commenting and for the Liebster nomination Benni. I'm going to pass on the award because I've already done a few of them in the past.
DeleteI don't have a specific order or list to follow when reading, I would go crazy if I had to follow a certain order. I am a mood reader and usually decide what to read next based on my mood, ofcourse I do make sure to read review books before the deadline (if they have one). I do sometimes have a general order or list of my upcoming few books in my mind, but that's about it and that order isn't set in stone or anything.
ReplyDeleteThe books I review that require being read by a specific date are the only ones I am a stickler to. Thanks so much for dropping by Lola =D
DeleteI like to think of my TBR as more of a guideline. And I'm pretty sure I cheated a few days after I actually started listing books on it. At the moment, I'm reading according to genres: I was predominately reading paranormal, then somewhere along the way it went through a few phases and now I'm reading erotica. But like you, Benni and Lola, I read whatever I'm in the mood for (as well as whatever I'm reading for a blog tour) lol.
ReplyDeleteI am a big mood reader. I also go through phases from time to time, switching from different genres. This makes it hard to stick to my list. I'm happy I'm not alone Nicole. Thanks bunches for visiting!
DeleteI am a cheater too if that's what it is called. :)
ReplyDeleteI have such good intentions to read the books in the order I have set then a new review comes along and there go the other books pushed down.
I do get to them eventually especially if they are for a tour or publisher-requested review by a certain date, then I stick to the list.
Great post.
ENJOY your reading week.
I'm so happy to learn I'm not alone in this. Thank you for reading and commenting Elizabeth =D
DeleteI've given up on a reading order a long time ago. Lol. It's way much easier to just choose one at random. And like you, I base it on my mood too. There are even times I would pick up a book and drop it for some other time because something else caught my attention. So I guess it's pretty pointless to even schedule my reading. Haha. I do keep the ARCs in mind though. Those are definitely important to get through, even if I cheat most of the time. :P
ReplyDeleteI think may be one of those rare cases when cheating isn't such a bad thing tee her. Thanks for dropping by Francine!
DeleteI haven't even looked at my TBR list in so long which is currently 3,100 books long! I don't even know how it happens... I just read books based on my whims and what I see other people reviewing and of course if I receive a book for review.
ReplyDeleteLol, your TBR sounds like mine Laura. I problems of a reader eh.
DeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts.
I’ve very guilty of cheating on my TBR list! I’m a mood reader as well, and my tastes change so often. At the beginning of a month, I usually look at my zillions of paperbacks I want to read, and choose the ones that appeal to me most at the time. I leave them right at the front of my bookshelf, so I can’t say I didn’t see them later on! In an ideal world, these would be the books that I’d stick to reading. In reality I usually end up skipping right over all of them, and move onto the shiny new books that have just arrived in the post, or downloaded onto my Kindle App. I'm trying to do better, and read some of the books that's been around my house forever, but I think it’s a lost cause!
ReplyDeleteThis is the excuse I tell myself about my paperbacks, " I'm waiting for that moment when the power always goes out in a winter storm " haha
DeleteI don't stick to TBRs, although I enjoy making them. What I usually do is order my Goodreads list the way I plan to read them at the time, then go back and reorganize when I change my mind. I try to avoid TBR lists on my blog in case someone actually expects me to read those books and is let down, LOL
ReplyDeleteI will make lists for a TBR on memes like top ten Tuesday and I do try to stick to it but it doesn't always work out that I read everyone =/
DeleteThanks for stopping by Katie =)