Resist ( Breathe #2 ) by Sarah Crossan
Release date - October 8th 2013
Published by Greenwillow Books
Hardcover, 400 pages
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
The sequel—and conclusion—to Sarah Crossan's Breathe. Three teen outlaws must survive on their own in a world without air, exiled outside the glass dome that protects what's left of human civilization. Gripping action, provocative ideas, and shocking revelations in a dystopian novel that fans of Patrick Ness and Veronica Roth will devour.
Bea, Alina, and Quinn are on the run. They started a rebellion and were thrown out of the pod, the only place where there's enough oxygen to breathe. Bea has lost her family. Alina has lost her home. And Quinn has lost his privileged life. Can they survive in the perilous Outlands? Can they finish the revolution they began? Especially when a young operative from the pod's Special Forces is sent after them. Their only chance is to stand together, even when terrible circumstances force them apart. When the future of human society is in danger, these four teens must decide where their allegiances lie. Sarah Crossan has created a dangerous, and shattered society in this wrenching, thought-provoking, and unforgettable post-apocalyptic novel.
Favourite quote
“... Just because no one’s managed something in the past, doesn’t mean the future’s lost. I’d be no good at hand-to-hand combat or shooting guns, but I’m smart. And I’ll figure this out.” - Bea
My Review
* Beware of Mild Spoilers*
I loved Breathe, the first book in the series Unfortunately, this story was not near as exciting as the first. I loved the premise of a world with no trees and all of the chaos it would cause. Although Resist was still a good story it kind of flowed off topic.
I wasn't disappointed that there was a death of someone important in the story, I would fully expect there to be fatalities in a resistance fighting against a corrupt higher power. Something I was disappointed with was how the story seemed to have gotten a little off track with the addition of the people from Sequoia and all of the drama they caused. I wished that there could have been more focus trying to make the pod a better place to live rather then some of the side stories offered up instead.
I would have liked to see more character development with a third novel and gotten to know the characters better, but I did really like what I did learn of them. I loved Bea. I would like to call her fearless, but she did have fear. Bea went through a few pretty scary moments and she just understood what she had to do and handled things as calmly as she could. I would have liked to have felt more emotion from her about all the things that she lost since the ending of Breathe.
I once again did enjoy Quinns character and noticed how much he has grown up since we last left him. He definitely grew from a boy to a man in this duology. I feel a little created due to the amount of time he actually got to spend with Bea but I did enjoy the part that he plays. I loved cranky, old Maude and her sarcastic comments. I liked finding out what happened to the characters in this novel but I did find the story to be rushed and predictable at times. Without a real solid ending, I've been left with too many questions.
I give this a 3 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯
Buy it here:
Kobo | AmazonPlaces you can find Sarah Cossan
Website - Website
Twitter -Twitter

No comments:
Post a Comment