Queen of Hearts: The Crown (Queen of Hearts) by Colleen Oakes
Release date - February 14th 2014
Published by SparkPress
Paperback, 205 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
Not every fairytale has a happy ending.
This is the story of a princess who became a villain.
A Father’s Betrayal. A Kingdom with a Black Secret. A Princess Slowly Unraveling.
As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood best friend, the future Knave of Hearts — and the love of her life.
When an enchanting stranger arrives at the Palace, Dinah watches as everything she’s ever wanted threatens to crumble. As her coronation date approaches, a series of suspicious and bloody events suggests that something sinister stirs in the whimsical halls of Wonderland. It’s up to Dinah to unravel the mysteries that lurk both inside and under the Palace before she loses her own head to a clever and faceless foe.
Part epic fantasy, part twisted fairy tale, this dazzling saga will have readers shivering as Dinah's furious nature sweeps Wonderland up in the maelstrom of her wrath.
Familiar characters such as Cheshire, the White Rabbit, and the Mad Hatter make their appearance, enchanting readers with this new, dark take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
My Review
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
I Loved it! I have never read a story from Wonderland about the Queen of Hearts before and I never realized how much I wanted to until I started this book. This story was fantastic from the gripping opening prologue to the dramatic ending.
Dinah was a young princess awaiting the moment when she would be queen and end the fearful rule of her tyrant father. I enjoyed her character even though she was extremely self centered, except for her love of Charles, her brother and her feelings for Wardley. I believe that she could have been much more aware of the plotting going on behind her back as well as the mystery of the Black Towers if she would have gotten over the jealousy she felt for her half sister Viotree.
I was easily pulled into Wonderland by the imaginative writing and I all but devoured this story. My only dislike with the Queen of Hearts: The Crown was that it posed a lot of questions and had few answers. I quite was disappointed about this when it ended but I still am so happy that I read it because it was an intriguing story. I can't wait to get my hands on The Wonder, book number 2.
I give this story a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½


OMG! THIS SO GOOOOOOD!!! Love your review too. It's making me that much more excited to get my hands on it! Love the whole Wonderland aspect of it all.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of Wonderland check out my blog! I just posted my Valentine's day story! lol
http://bookhangoversbb.blogspot.com
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY MO!!! Have a great weekend xoxo ♥
Thanks Michelle I love hearing when someone liked my reviews, it means a lot. I actually just dropped by you blog. I loved your gift and that cute owl card next to it. I haven't started Splinter yet either and the cover is gorgeous for both novels. It will look pretty on a shelf.
DeleteHappy Valentine's Day
And Happy Friday!!
Yay I'm so glad you liked Queen of Hearts! I read it also, and I think this series shows a lot of potential! Nice review!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree Val. I'm eagerly waiting to read about the Queens descent I to evil and that beginning.. Wow!!
DeleteThanks for reading :-D