-->

Monday, December 22, 2014

#BookReview - Unhinged by A.G. Howard



Unhinged (Splintered #2) by A.G. Howard
Release Date: January 7th 2014
Published by Amulet
Hardcover, 387 pages
Goodreads
My Rating - ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯

Description

 Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

 That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn’t show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs.

 As prom and graduation creep closer, Alyssa juggles Morpheus’s unsettling presence in her real world with trying to tell Jeb the truth about a past he’s forgotten. Glimpses of Wonderland start to bleed through her art and into her world in very disturbing ways, and Morpheus warns that Queen Red won’t be far behind.

 If Alyssa stays in the human realm, she could endanger Jeb, her parents, and everyone she loves. But if she steps through the rabbit hole again, she'll face a deadly battle that could cost more than just her head. 


My Review

 Since Alyssa refuses to return to Wonderland on her own, Morpheus makes an appearance in the human realm with his special way of trying to convince her that she belongs on the throne. That her coming back to Wonderland is the only way to stop Red from reclaiming the throne for herself. Alyssa has tried to convince herself that she would rather just forget that chapter of her life, and move away with Jeb, to live happily ever after. However, even she can't ignore the signs of Red's return forever.

 To begin I will note that you will not find one of Morpheus' supporters here. I suppose he is okay at times, but consequently I find him to be extremely arrogant. He's also pushy, and an instigator. Plus, there's the fact that he's vindictive, and can be cruel. Sorry to any team Morpheus fans, I'm just not one of you. I prefer Jeb. He loves Alyssa for who she is, not who she could become, like Morpheus does. However, just like during the ending of Splintered (book #1), Morpheus did exhibit a few decent qualities that softened my dislike for his character.

  Alyssa's parents play a significant role in this story. Quite honestly, it was the elements that Allison and Tom merged into the storyline that was my favorite aspect. I was thrilled to discover some of Allison's own experiences in Wonderland, and learn how she met Alyssa's father. Something else about this novel that intrigued me was Alyssa's vivid dreams of a childhood moment that she shared with Morpheus.

  Although the story started out slowly, around halfway through it turned into a captivating page turner, shrouded in mystery. A fantastic sequel to the Splintered series! Furthermore, if you like stories about retellings then you should definitely check out the series.
I give this a 4 out of 5 stars.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this series for a while because it looks so interesting, and your review made me all the more eager :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2014/12/movie-review-hunger-games-mockingjay.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I've been meaning to pick up this series. But I hate when a book starts out slow.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm late (it's been a busy couple weeks), but I'm so glad you've read this one! It's too bad that you're not on the Morpheus train, but to each her own!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Splintered is one of my favorites ;)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read this book but by the way you described Morpheus, I kind of like him. xD I just have a thing for evil characters. I have enough of do-goody heroes I guess.

    ReplyDelete