-->

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review - Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release date - October 18th 2011
Published  by Spencer Hill Press
Paperback, 281 pages
Source  - Library
Add it to Goodreads


Description (from Goodreads)

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.




Quote

“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
       “Did you just quote Harry Potter? ”
        I grinned. “Maybe I did.”



My Review

 Alex and her mother have been absent from the covenant for three years, so when her mother dies at the hands of daimons Alex doesn't know if she will be aloud back in training and feared a life of servitude. You see Alex is a Half-Blood and unlike her Pure-Blood counterparts she is not worth much in the eyes of the council. When she is given the choice of working her butt off with the incredibly gorgeous Aiden or slave life in her step fathers house she opts for the former. But getting ready to start classes in the fall is only one of Alex's problems.

 Wow! I loved this book, Jennifer Armentrout is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only did this book have the perfect amount of mystery and action, it kept getting better the farther I read on. I never had a dull moment and I enjoyed reading it right up to the very end.

 Alex is one bad ass chick, I would never want to go toe to toe with her. She is determined to become a Sentinel, the highest position a half blood could hope for, and she definitely doesn't get there by taking any short cuts. She is tough as nails, quick with a come back and sometimes she really cracked me up. I loved her relationship with her best friend Caleb. It seemed like something pretty special to have survived Alex's three year absence and pick back up where they left off like it was only three days.

 I also enjoyed the setting of this book and the new original take on demi-gods. I've always liked Greek/Roman mythology and I was not disappointed with Half-Blood. I can't wait to further explore this series and see what the gods have in store for Alex. Something else that I loved about this book was the cover. Isn't it fabulous?

I give this a 5 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Would I read it again? Yes


Buy it here:

Amazon


Places you can find the author

Links

Website | Twitter | Facebook


2 comments:

  1. Alex is definitely my fave YA heroine. She's so snarky and yes, badass. I love her! Great review!

    Vi
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Vi. I'm currently reading Deity and omg its so good :-)

      Delete