Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
Release Date - September 25, 2012
Published by Harlequin Teen
Kindle edition, 416 pages
Source - Library
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.
Her father was right. The monsters are real….
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently. I'd tell my sister no. I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad. I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words. Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time. I'd tell them I love them. I wish... Yeah, I wish.
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.
Her father was right. The monsters are real….
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently. I'd tell my sister no. I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad. I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words. Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time. I'd tell them I love them. I wish... Yeah, I wish.
My Review
Alice in Zombieland started out great for me, I was immediately sucked me in with Alice's slightly crazy and paranoid father with his prediction of monsters lurking in the dark. Then tragedy strikes and I begin thinking that i might just really enjoy this story.
After the accident the book took a turn and became about bitchy girls and high school drama. Ali makes friends with a girl named Kat and its through her that she finds herself face to face with a pair of violet eyes belonging to Cole Holland. A boy with an instantly odd connection to Ali and a few secrets of his own.
Ali begins to think that perhaps her father wasn't crazy like she always thought when she starts seeing monsters in the night. And the even stranger thing is that Cole and his friends seem to know something about this and aren't sharing the information.
This is not a retelling of Alice in Wonderland like I first believed it to be although there is one or two references to the classic story. This story is new and original and not quite like anything I have read before but it just didn't suck me in like I hoped it was going to.
There were two things in this book that I did love, the first being Ali's grandparents. You just can't help but love these overprotective caregivers and there obvious research in teenage slang shows me that they love Ali and are trying to connect with her. The second thing I enjoyed was the mysterious journal that Ali finds in her belongings when she moves in with her grandparents. For me it added a some magical mystery to the story.
I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯
would I read it again? No
Buy it here:
Amazon
Places you can find the author
Twitter | Goodreads | Fan site
would I read it again? No
Buy it here:
Amazon
Places you can find the author
Twitter | Goodreads | Fan site
Hey! Thanks so much for following my blog! This book seems interesting. I really like the cover!
ReplyDeleteMartha
I definitely agree about the cover, its the first thing that drew me into the book. Your welcome for the follow and thanks in return.
Delete