Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine showcasing upcoming books that we are waiting, often impatiently, to be released.
My WoW pick this week is....
The White Princess (The Cousins' War #5) by Philippa Gregory
Expected release date - July 23rd 2013
Published by Touchstone
Kindle Edition, 544 pages
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
The newest novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author and “queen of royal fiction” (USA TODAY) Philippa Gregory tells the passionate story of Elizabeth of York, daughter of the White Queen, who gets caught in the middle of a battle for the crown of England. The White Princess opens as the news of the battle of Bosworth is brought to Princess Elizabeth of York, who will learn not only which rival royal house has triumphed, Tudor or York, but also which suitor she must marry: Richard III her lover, or Henry Tudor her enemy.
A princess from birth, Elizabeth fell in love with Richard III, though her mother made an arranged betrothal for her with the pretender to the throne: Henry Tudor. When Henry defeats Richard against all odds, Elizabeth has to marry the man who murdered her lover in battle, and create a new royal family with him and his ambitious mother: Margaret Beaufort, The Red Queen. But, while the new monarchy can win, it cannot, it seems, hold power in an England which remembers the House of York with love.
The new king’s greatest fear is that somewhere, outside England, a prince from the House of York is waiting to invade and re-claim the throne for the house of York. Fearing that none of his new allies can be trusted, Henry turns to his wife to advise him, all the time knowing that her loyalties must be divided. When the young man who would be king finally leads his army and invades England, it is for Elizabeth to decide whether she recognizes him as her brother and a claimant to the throne, or denies him in favor of the husband she is coming to love…
The newest novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author and “queen of royal fiction” (USA TODAY) Philippa Gregory tells the passionate story of Elizabeth of York, daughter of the White Queen, who gets caught in the middle of a battle for the crown of England. The White Princess opens as the news of the battle of Bosworth is brought to Princess Elizabeth of York, who will learn not only which rival royal house has triumphed, Tudor or York, but also which suitor she must marry: Richard III her lover, or Henry Tudor her enemy.
A princess from birth, Elizabeth fell in love with Richard III, though her mother made an arranged betrothal for her with the pretender to the throne: Henry Tudor. When Henry defeats Richard against all odds, Elizabeth has to marry the man who murdered her lover in battle, and create a new royal family with him and his ambitious mother: Margaret Beaufort, The Red Queen. But, while the new monarchy can win, it cannot, it seems, hold power in an England which remembers the House of York with love.
The new king’s greatest fear is that somewhere, outside England, a prince from the House of York is waiting to invade and re-claim the throne for the house of York. Fearing that none of his new allies can be trusted, Henry turns to his wife to advise him, all the time knowing that her loyalties must be divided. When the young man who would be king finally leads his army and invades England, it is for Elizabeth to decide whether she recognizes him as her brother and a claimant to the throne, or denies him in favor of the husband she is coming to love…
Why I want to read it
I am a big fan of Philippa Gregory and loved her Tudor series of books. A year or so ago I discovered The White Queen, the first in the Cousins War series, and I liked it immensely. Then I read the Red Queen and loved that too! The third in series started to drag on and I lost interest so therefore I've not finished it or read The Kingmakers Daughter (#4 ). But The White Princess sounds like it will be fantastic.
Elizabeth of York was Henry the 8th mother and since I do love all things Tudor dynasty I'm excited to read this. Plus I've already read about Elizabeth in the White Queen so I have already developed a liking for her character.
I also wanted to mention that there is a new television series out based on the Cousins War series entitled The White Queen. I have watched the first episode and I really like it. I love all of the actors and thought that they each did a wonderful job playing their parts, with the exception of Anthony, Elizabeth Grey's (the queen) brother. I liked him a lot better in the book.
Pre order it here:
Amazon


I really need to read some Phillip Gregory. My mum just bought The White Queen so I might steal it from her at some point! I haven't managed to watch any of the TV show but I might give it a go to see if I like it :D great pick, and thanks so much for stopping by my WoW! Have a lovely week :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love Philippa Gregory, so this is definitely on my list, too! I've yet to read past the first book in the series, but the writing is flawless, and I can't wait to get my paws on this one (as well as all the others). Fantastic pick this week, Monique!
ReplyDeleteI'm your newest follower via both GFC and Bloglovin :)
I fell in love with Philippa Gregory after a read the Other Boleyn Girl and have been reading her books ever since. Thanks so much for the follow and for your wonderful comment :-)
ReplyDeleteOoh, nice. I would love to read this series. Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my WoW
ReplyDeletehttp://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/06/waiting-on-wednesday-53-snakeroot.html
Thanks for reading my WoW pick Shane :-)
DeleteI've never read any of her books, but this one sounds intriguing. I don't read many historical books, though, but I hope you enjoy this one! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my WOW. :)
Holly @ Part of that World
Thanks for checking out my WoW Holly, until next week :-)
DeleteI really want to read The White Queen, because it's a tv show now. Great pick, thanks for stopping by earlier! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's why I started watching the Game of Thrones and it was the best decision ever! Thanks for stopping by Erica
ReplyDeleteHaven't read historica romance in a while. And I don't think I've read Philippa Gregory novels before, will def check her out :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Oh definitely give Philippa Gregory a try Amir she's really good. Thanks for your comment
DeleteI've never read anything by her but I've been wanting to for so long!!
ReplyDeleteMy WOW http://angelica-2009.blogspot.com/2013/06/wow-7.html
There's no time like the present Angelica :-) thanks for your comment and sharing your WoW pick
DeleteI've never read any of her books, but I may just have to try out that tv show sometime.
ReplyDeleteIf you like historical shows then you might just like it. Its my new summer guilty pleasure TV show. Thanks for stopping by Kaitlin
Delete