Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger #1)
by V.C. Andrews
Add it to Goodreads
Description
Such wonderful children. Such a beautiful mother. Such a lovely house. Such endless terror!
It wasn't that she didn't love her children. She did. But there was a fortune at stake--a fortune that would assure their later happiness if she could keep the children a secret from her dying father.
So she and her mother hid her darlings away in an unused attic.
Just for a little while.
But the brutal days swelled into agonizing years. Now Cathy, Chris, and the twins wait in their cramped and helpless world, stirred by adult dreams, adult desires, served a meager sustenance by an angry, superstitious grandmother who knows that the Devil works in dark and devious ways. Sometimes he sends children to do his work--children who--one by one--must be destroyed....
'Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent struggling to stay alive....
I absolutely loved this entire series. When I first read this story when I was in high school it was the most interesting and shocking thing that I had read at the time. An evil grandmother, a mother that would choose money over her children and four young children being hidden away in a attic for 2 years.
I remember flying through the pages constantly wondering what was in store for these kids. This book had some horrifying moments but also some touching ones. Since I've had children of my own I know that if was to read it again my perception may slightly change due to some the devastating moment that occurs close to the end.
When I first started this book I was at the mercy of what the library had in stock so I actually read Petals on the Wind, book #2, first and then followed it with If There be Thorns, Seeds of Yesterday and Garden of Shadows. Then I read them all again 3 times. I was glad that I was able to read Flowers in the Attic to find out where Cathy's story began so then I read them one after another again.This story is still rattling around in my brain ever since I put down that first book years ago.
I give this a 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½
I was very excited but apprehensive when I heard that there was going to be a new Flowers in the Attic movie. After reading the series I watched the first movie starring Kristy Swanson and was extremely disappointed. I spent the whole time cutting it up and eventually just turned it off. So I had my doubts that the 2014 version but hold up to the book.
It was a delightful surprise that I found myself immediately engaged in what was happening. The flood of memories that came back to me from the book were appearing in front of my eyes, Cathy's ruby ring, Corrine's swan bed and poor little Cory's fate.
This movie stayed very close to the original story and explained the Dollanganger children's situation as efficiently as possible with the hour and a half time frame. I really enjoyed this movie and the actors that played in it. One thing is for sure though, it made me want to dust this series off and read it again, for the 5th time.
I give this movie a 3 ½ out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ½
Did you catch this movie of television last week? If so what are your thoughts? As always all of my wonderful followers, thanks for reading.


I had no idea that they remade the movie til I saw all the comments on GoodReads! Thank goodness they played re-runs of it on Lifetime so I was able to watch it. I was happily surprised and I enjoyed it. I immediately went to my bookshelf and dug out my old Flowers in the Attic book and thought "what girl did not have this book/series in their belongings?" Ahhhh.....the memories ♥
ReplyDeleteI knew you had great taste Michelle ;-) I'm glad to hear you liked the movie. I wonder if they might try and continue on with the series, that would be awesome.
DeleteI saw my mom watching it, and I freaked out because I didn't know they made a new one. But just like you, I hated the old movie and I surprisingly really liked the new one. They definitely made it better. But nothing is better than the book :)
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you Aneta, the book is always better. I'm glad that whoever wrote the script for the story did a wonderful job at capturing what the book was actually about.
Delete