-->

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review - Kiya: Mother of a King by Katie Hamstead



KIYA: Mother of a King (KIYA Trilogy #2) by Katie Hamstead
Release date - October 25th 2013
Published by Curiosity Quills Press
Paperback, 234 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads


Description (from Goodreads)

  Nefertiti has forced Naomi to flee Amarna with Malachi and the three children. But even under the protection of Naomi’s family in Thebes, Nefertiti still hunts her and Tut. Nefertiti sends assassins to kill them, and while Naomi fights to protect the children, Malachi fights to keep her safe.

  With three children in tow, one of which isn’t her own, she is labeled the harlot outcast wife of the pharaoh and is shunned. She isn’t safe among her own people, and flees from being stoned to death. Although her family protects her, she must find a way to survive.

  While Naomi struggles to keep herself and Tut alive, old adversaries return as Smenkhkare takes advantage of Akhenaten’s ailing health. Naomi must rely on Horemheb’s promise to protect Tut’s birthright, but her feelings for Malachi could cause more problems with Horemheb than she expects.







My Review


  I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

  This time in Kiya's journey she's running for her life, always unsure of when one of Nefertiti's assassins will be come for her and her son's life. Along with Malachi and her children she goes into hiding with her family, and goes back to her Hebrew roots as well as her name. At first things are hard but with the help of her very supportive family she manages to finds happiness. Although Naomi worries that it won't last forever. She know that eventually Horemheb will come looking for Tut, her son, so that he can one day become the Pharaoh of Egypt.

  Another wonderfully written story by Katie Hamstead. This was a very emotional and intriguing tale that showed a different side to Naomi . She was much more family oriented in Thebes and very nurturing. I learned that Naomi made an excellent mother and I loved reading about her time spent with her family. I also enjoyed her growing romance with Malachi. He was a brave man completely devoted to Naomi's safety and happiness. The only flaw I would say he has is that he can be tad bit jealous of Horemheb, which causes him to overreact. Other then that he's perfect.

  Love triangles aren't a favourite concept of mine because I always feel bad for the one that doesn't get the girl. However in this story I don't really feel all that bad for Horemheb. Where Malachi is warm and loving, Horemheb is cold and dark. Even though he does the honourable thing and obviously has feelings for Naomi I still think he's a giant asshat. But I do love the tension that he brings to the story, it adds a little spice.

  In closing I will mention that I was always interested in what was happening, there was never a boring moment for me and I read late into the night telling myself "just a few more pages". If you like historical fiction then you should definitely give this book a try.

  I give this a 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½


  * I was approved on NetGalley for this awesome story but I also won my own signed copy from Katie in a giveaway for the Kiya: Mother of a King cover reveal tour. She even included a Christmas card with a touching message inside. I bragged that card up to everyone I know :-D Thanks again Katie!


Buy your copy here:

Kobo /  Amazon




2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Monique! I'm so lad you've enjoyed this series so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked my review Katie :-) I can't wait to read the conclusion.

      Delete