-->

Monday, January 20, 2014

Review - Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau





Independent Study ( The Testing #2 ) by Joelle Charbonneau
Expected Release date - January 7th 2014
Published by HMH Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 320 pages
Add it to Goodreads


Description (from Goodreads)

In the series debut The Testing, sixteen-year-old Cia Vale was chosen by the United Commonwealth government as one of the best and brightest graduates of all the colonies . . . a promising leader in the effort to revitalize postwar civilization. In Independent Study, Cia is a freshman at the University in Tosu City with her hometown sweetheart, Tomas—and though the government has tried to erase her memory of the brutal horrors of The Testing, Cia remembers. Her attempts to expose the ugly truth behind the government’s murderous programs put her—and her loved ones—in a world of danger. But the future of the Commonwealth depends on her.


Quote


“I'm the youngest student here.”

“Use that.” He nods. “The Tosu students are going to look at your size and pretty face and assume you aren't a threat, but I know different. They have no idea what your capable of, I, for one, can't wait for you to show them.”


My Review


Spoilers from the Testing, book #1 in the series

 Cia has studied hard to make it where she is but she knows things aren't as black and white as the testing officials would like everyone to believe. After listening a message that she left herself, but has no memory of doing so, Cia makes sure she is always on alert and never let's her guard down. Taking solace in the fact that there are others working to find a way to stop the fatal methods used in the Testing, she vows to be the best she could possibly be and help put an end to the slaughter of future candidates.

 Joelle Charbonneau has managed to write a story just as compelling and suspenseful as the first book in the series. I could feel Cia's anxiety pouring off the pages throughout the whole story. Being pushed to the extreme limits with her enormous work load along with trying to regain her memories of the Testing doesn't deter Cia with her goal of succeeding in whatever the government throws at her. I like that it explained how she ate brain heathy foods and that she physically worked her body as well as her brain.

 I liked that this book was an easy, fast paced read and I found it hard to put it down when I had to. I loved the new characters, especially Enzo. I really hope I get to hear more of his story in Graduation Day . I feel slightly unsure of Raffe but I hope I'm just thinking the worst because I did like him. My favourite scene was definitely during Cia and her teams time spent during their introduction. The part with the snake would been my ultimate nightmare.

I give this story a 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ½


You may also be interested in this review




 The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau






No comments:

Post a Comment