After The Ending (The Ending #1) by Lindsey Fairleigh & Lindsey Pogue
Release date - February 14th 2013
Published by L2 Books
Ebook, 478 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads
Description (from Goodreads)
The first book in a new Post-apocalyptic Romance series.
The Virus spread. Billions died. The Ending began. We may have survived the apocalypse, but the Virus changed us.
When people started getting sick, “they” thought it was just the flu. My roommate, my boyfriend, my family…they’re all gone now. I got sick too. I should have died with them—with the rest of the world—but I didn’t. I thought witnessing the human population almost disappear off the face of the earth was the craziest thing I’d ever experience. I was so wrong. My name is Dani O’Connor, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.
The Virus changed everything. The world I knew is gone, and life is backwards. We’ve all had to start over. I’ve been stripped of my home, my dreams…all that is me. I’m someone else now—broken and changed. Other survivors’ memories and emotions haunt me. They invade my mind until I can no longer separate them from my own. I won’t let them consume me. I can’t. My name is Zoe Cartwright, I’m twenty-six-years-old, and I survived The Ending.
We’ve been inseparable for most of our lives, and now our friendship is all we have left. The aftermath of the Virus has stranded us on opposite sides of the United States. Trusting strangers, making sacrifices, killing—we’ll do anything to reach one another. Fear and pain may be unavoidable, but we’re strong…we’re survivors. But to continue surviving in this unfamiliar world plagued by Crazies and strange new abilities, we have to adapt. We have to evolve.
And more than anything, we have to find each other.
THIS BOOK CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT AND LANGUAGE
Quotes
“Every scar is a memory Zoe and a reminder of how strong you are.... ” - Zoe's dad
“... Surviving the virus might just be the beginning.... ” - Chris
“You think I'll just bow out and let you walk all over me. You can go to hell. I'm sure you're expected. ” - Dani
My Review
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a story about two best friends living far away from each other when tragedy struck the World. Both Dani and Zoe survived the virus that killed billions of people and embark on an adventure into the new world with a vow to find each other. For the people that lived through the illness life will be forever changed, some went completely crazy and others developed strange new abilities.
I enjoyed reading this story, I am a big fan of post apocalyptic novels and was intrigued by this world ravished by an unknown virus. The book is written in alternating chapters between Dani and Zoe's points of view and because of this you get two completely different adventures.
Dani is safe in the company of Jason, Zoe's older brother. A military man whom with the other members of his group are looking for surviving members of their families. Dani will discover friendship, romance, danger and insidious intentions along the way to find her childhood friend. I liked Dani's character and especially her dog Jack. It was interesting to watch her ability grow and her interactions with the man that helped her discover them. She is brave and loyal, Zoe is lucky to have her as a friend. Dani's new ability was definitely my favorite (I wish I could do that lol).
Zoe teamed up with her friend and ex to start her way back to her bestie and later met up with a group of military personal. On Zoe's journey she finds new companions, love and some serious attempts on ending her life. I liked Zoe, man did she ever get put through the ringer in this story and yet she never once thought of giving up. Zoe's ability is one I would not want to have, I sure it could have its uses but I think it would turn me into one of the crazies.
There are two things I didn't like about this book, the first is the emails that the girls sent back and forth to each other. They were always just summaries of what I had already read, so I found them to be repetitive. The other thing I didn't like is something so tiny but it drove me nuts. Dani's story has a dog named Jack and Zoe's has a man named Jake. I know that they are different names but my eyes liked to play tricks on me and I would see Jack the dog and think of the man. I guess I can get confused easy lol.
All and all I really liked this book. The epilogue was an extreme surprise and knocked my rating up half a star, I totally didn't see that coming.
I give this a 3 ½ stars.

Hmmm, sounds interesting! I agree about the similar name thing... it's so confusing! I recently read a book with a character named Anna and then another character named Anne. Both characters weren't very important, but still... don't do that, authors! :P Anyway, great review!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad someone agrees with me about the kind of same name thing :D Thanks for commenting on my review Erica, it made me smile.
ReplyDeleteI love this genre but, this book was a DNF for me. The dialogue and emails were just too grating. I was disappointed because the premise is great!
ReplyDeleteIt was kind of hard to get through the first half but I'm glad I stuck with it because the story did get better. I hate not finishing a book and often hold out hope that it will get better. Thanks so much for stopping by Monika :-)
ReplyDelete