-->

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday, #5 - Most intimidating books




 Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at  The Broke and the Bookish, and for this weeks TTT these are my picks for most intimidating books.

 The size of a book doesn't make me shy away from it, I love long stories. I'm not intimidated by horror, violence, romance or make believe. The one type of books that I do find intimating is the classics.



Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen
Paperback, 279 pages
First published 1813









A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Paperback, 544 pages
First published 1854









Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
Paperback, 352 pages
First published 1864






  All three of the books have been read world wide and are cherished by many. The thing that scares my the most about them is what if I don't like them? They are still, many years after being originally published, referenced all the time. I'm worried that they won't live up to the hype.

 I tried to read Pride and Prejudice a few years ago and just couldn't get past the old school writing, this was a big problem for me. Does this mean I won't like them? I'm really not sure, hopefully one day I will work up the courage and try again.

 What are your most intimidating books? Please share your TTT links if you got one.



12 comments:

  1. you just have to read them with a different mind set, you have to pretend to be in the time period they were written in. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind if I try again someday. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your link :)

      Delete
  2. I actually read Pride and Prejudice, and yes, it was pretty intimidating! :P But still a classic!
    http://readyforrandom.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like to think I will try it again sometime :-) thanks for your comment :-)

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree with classics!!
    My TTT- http://angelica-2009.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good I'm glad I'm not alone Angelica lol. Thanks for leaving your link and stopping by :-)

      Delete
  4. I agree, I've read some classics in the past that I just haven't been able to get into at all so now I tend to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much the same for me Samantha, but I still think about it for a minute before I dismiss them. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I found it hard to get into some classic books too. I tried A Tale Of Two Cities but couldn't get into it! But when I've went back to some book and tried again I've found that I've really enjoyed them. Pride and Prejudice is a favourite of mine. I've read Journey to the Center of the Earth quite recently. The start and end of that book are really, really good but the middle drags a lot and nothing much happens. Still, try to give them a go sometime! :)

    Oh! And I've just started to read Breathe by Sarah Crossan after you recommended it to me and so far I'm really enjoying it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your welcome Martha, I'm so happy that you like it :D thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I agree! I haven't read many classics, except for the ones I had to read for school. They just don't sound like fun reads at all.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am way behind on my classics. While they don't persay intimidate me I just don't feel rushed to read them. SO many other books sound more engaging... :) Thanks for stopping by my top ten.

    ReplyDelete