-->

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review - Proxy by Alex London




Proxy (Proxy #1) by Alex London
Release date - June 18th 2013
Published by Philome
Hardcover, 384 pages
Source - Purchased
Add it to Goodreads


Description (from Goodreads)

Knox was born into one of the City’s wealthiest families. A Patron, he has everything a boy could possibly want—the latest tech, the coolest clothes, and a Proxy to take all his punishments. When Knox breaks a vase, Syd is beaten. When Knox plays a practical joke, Syd is forced to haul rocks. And when Knox crashes a car, killing one of his friends, Syd is branded and sentenced to death.

Syd is a Proxy. His life is not his own.

Then again, neither is Knox’s. Knox and Syd have more in common than either would guess. So when Knox and Syd realize that the only way to beat the system is to save each other, they flee. Yet Knox’s father is no ordinary Patron, and Syd is no ordinary Proxy. The ensuing cross-country chase will uncover a secret society of rebels, test both boys’ resolve, and shine a blinding light onto a world of those who owe and those who pay. Some debts, it turns out, cannot be repaid .



Quote


“Nothing mystical about destiny. Destiny is just the inevitable result of choice, from the choices that came before us to the chooses we make. They are a river that can only flow in one direction. ” - Mr Barram


My Review

 Knox lived a life of luxury. He wanted for nothing, got any girl he wished and when he did something wrong he had his proxy Syd, to take all the beatings. Syd lived in the Valve with the other proxies and all of the other indebted unfortunate people. His main goal was to get through the next two years without obtaining more debt so he could be free to do what he wanted and didn't have to be any one's proxy ever again

 When Knox does something extremely over the top, Syd is called upon to take a punishment as good as death. So Syd decides to run. What he unintentionally discovers is a destiny that has been waiting for him since he was an infant.

 I really enjoyed reading this story with the patron/proxy premise. I was immediately intrigued with this dystopian setting and felt a connection with the lead characters. I can't say who I liked more, Knox or Syd. I love them both for almost completely opposite reasons. Knox is clever, confident, can find humor in the most dismal moments and yet still has a sensitive side that has him longing to just be loved. I would say that all of the trouble he got himself, and Syd, into was a rather large cry for attention. Syd is more of a keep your head down and don't get noticed by others kind of guy. He has gone through many hardships to insure that his debt stays low, he couldn't even get the scary looking birthmark that's been growing behind his ear checked out. Syd is loyal, compassionate and willing to do what he has to, without complaints, to survive in the under dwellings of his society.

 This book was a fantastic journey and a great tale of an extremely oppressed society of people. The ending was a huge surprise and I know I can't wait for book #2, The Guardians to come out.

 I give Proxy a 4 out of 5 stars
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
Would I read it again? Yes


Buy it here:

Chapters/Indigo |  Amazon


Places you can find the author
Links

Twitter |  Goodreads




No comments:

Post a Comment