-->

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review - Stiltskin by Andrew Buckley



Stiltskin by Andrew Buckley
Release date - December 9th 2013
Published by Curiosity Quills Press
Kindle edition, 260 pages
Source - NetGalley
Add it to Goodreads
Buy it here - Amazon


Description (from Goodreads)

What would you do if you found an evil dwarf in your bathtub?

In Robert Darkly’s case you scream like a girl… and then you get taken on a journey to an entirely different world living just on the other side of our own reality; a world where fairy tales are real but not in the way we’ve come to expect them.

The aforementioned dwarf, Rumpelstiltskin, has escaped the Tower prison of Thiside determined to finish the sinister plot he started so many years ago.

Robert Darkly, oblivious that he is the son of the Mad Hatter, must partner with the mysterious ‘Agency’ to pursue Rumpelstiltskin across our world and the world of Thiside and uncover the treacherous secret that threatens to throw both realities into eternal chaos.


Quote


Robert Struggled to his feet. “What the hell is going on?”
“Don't get hysterical, Darkly,” said General Gnarly.
“Hysterical, why would I be hysterical? Because you know something about me that I don't know? That there's something weird about you too? And you, well, you're a Gnome, aren't you? 'Nuff said about that. And don't mention your short stature, although it's plainly obvious.” Robert was breathing heavily.


My Review


  I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

  Stiltskin was humorous, dark and mysterious and introduces some classic fairytale characters in a unique new manner.  I really enjoyed the world that Andrew Buckley created and the plot was quite intriguing. I have to say though that I felt awful for Robert throughout most of the book. His life was kind of like a sad country song for awhile. Even though Robert seemed to say all of the wrong things, which earned him the nickname Moron, he dealt with all of the strange happenings surprisingly well. I really grew to love him and his awkwardness towards the end. There are a lot of interesting characters in this story including appearances by the White Rabbit, the Muffin Man, Mother Goose and other classic fairytale characters. But they are not exactly the way you might remember them.

  The book is told from multiple points of view, from quite a few characters. Normally I love how different p.o.v's create such a well rounded story if the scenes flow together nicely, so it isn't confusing. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with this story. The plot was great but the constant switching back and forth between characters, sometimes after only a few paragraphs, was just way too much. As a rule I always finish a book I start and I'm glad that I worked past this problem. After the first hundred pages or so, the story picks up pace and starts getting really good.

  I was surprised with the ending. I really have to say that I didn't see it coming and I would like to find out how things go for Robert Darkly in the next instalment of this series.

I give this a 3 out of 5 stars.
✯ ✯ ✯




No comments:

Post a Comment